Improved Recommendations FAQ
Nextdoor's improved recommendations help you discover the businesses most recommended by your neighbors. Now you can find all comments about a business on a single, easily searchable "Local Page."
Here are quick links with step-by-step instructions for how to use these new recommendation features:
Frequently asked questions about service or business recommendations and business pages:
- There is already a recommendations section. What's different now?
- How are the top businesses in each category selected?
- Did the listed businesses pay to be included in Recommendations?
- How do I find Recommendations?
- How do I recommend a business?
- Where do recommendations appear?
- Who can see my recommendations?
- What is on a Local Page?
- If I add a comment on a Local Page, will my neighbors see it in the news feed?
- What should I do if I notice that a recommendation is associated with the wrong business?
- I know Nextdoor members have recommended a business, but I don’t see those recommendation on that business’s Local Page.
- If I want to recommend a business that doesn’t have a Local Page, can I add it?
- How do I claim my Local Page?
- Can I give a negative review for a business?
- What if a member writes a negative review about my business?
- Can I advertise my business on Nextdoor?
1. There is already a Recommendations section. What's different now?
We have received a lot of feedback from members that neighbors were regularly posting requests for certain types of business recommendations. We've also heard that finding previous recommendations seen in the newsfeed was difficult and time consuming. We improved how recommendations work to provide a better way for Nextdoor members to discover the businesses most recommended by their neighbors.
2. How are the top businesses in each category selected?
The top businesses are chosen for each category, e.g. plumbers, restaurants, electricians, auto mechanics, based on the number of recommendations these businesses have received from your neighbors.
3. Did the listed businesses pay to be included in Recommendations?
No, businesses can not pay to be included. The only way for a business to appear on a category page (e.g. plumbers, restaurants, or auto mechanics) is to be recommended by members. The more recommendations a business has, the higher it will appear on the list.
4. How do I find Recommendations?
Using Nextdoor on a browser, you can find the feature in the left navigation menu just above Local. On Nextdoor for iPhone, you’ll find Recommendations in the menu under More. On Nextdoor for Android, Recommendations can be found when you select the three horizontal lines in the upper left hand corner.
5. How do I recommend a business?
You can recommend a business either by going directly to the business's Local Page and making a recommendation or by mentioning a business when replying to another member's post. Specific details can be found here.
6. Where do recommendations appear?
All recommendations from your neighbors appear on the Local Page of the business that was recommended.
8. What is on a business's page?
In addition to contact information, a business's Local Page displays the number of recommendations made by your neighbors, as well as comments neighbors may have made about the business.
9. If I add a comment on a business's Local Page, will my neighbors see it in the news feed?
No. They will only see it if they navigate to the business’s Local Page.
10. What should I do if I notice that a recommendation is associated with the wrong business?
In some cases, comments mentioning a business may have been tagged with the wrong businesses. If this happened to one of your own comments, you can move it to the correct business's Local Page. If you notice this happened to a neighbor's comment, please contact Nextdoor Support and we’ll fix the error.
Please contact Nextdoor Support if you notice that a business is associated with the wrong category or if information about the business is incorrect, and we’ll fix the error.
11. I know Nextdoor members have recommended a business, but I don’t see the recommendation on that business’s Local Page.
In some cases, neighbors may mention a business in a post or reply but fail to tag the business in their comment, which is what actually links the comment with the business’s Local Page. If you notice this, you can send a private message to the author of the comment and suggest that they go back to their comment and tag the business they’ve mentioned.
Additionally, neighborhood Leads also have the ability to tag businesses in comments made by their neighbors and nearby neighbors. If you’re a Lead, you can navigate to the comment and tag the appropriate business.
12. If I want to recommend a business that doesn’t have a Local Page, can I add it?
Yes, you can add a business and it will appear in your neighborhood's Recommendations.
If you’re a business that does not yet have a Local Page, please create and claim your page.
13. How do I claim my Local Page?
If you have a business, you can claim your Local Page here.
14. Can I give a negative review for a business?
Recommendations are intended to highlight the businesses most recommended by your neighbors. If you recommend a business, it will be treated as a positive review. However, if you’ve had a bad experience with a business, you can still share that experience as a comment on that business’ Local Page or as a reply to a recommendation post. Either of those actions will add your comment to the business's Local Page without counting as a recommendation.
15. What if a member writes a negative review about my business?
Members are allowed to describe negative as well as positive experiences with business as long as they do so in a way that is consistent with Community Guidelines. If you notice a negative comment about your business that you feel is unfair, you can reply to the member’s post correcting any misinformation or reach out to this member directly via private message. If you’re not a member of the neighborhood and can’t respond, you can encourage one of your customers who does live in the neighborhood to post a reply on your behalf.
16. Can I advertise my business on Nextdoor?
No, you cannot advertise or market your business on Nextdoor. We don’t offer the ability for businesses to advertise or publish content. If businesses owners would like to claim their Local Page or stay informed as Nextdoor explores business solutions, they can sign up here.